A Taste for Politics Bette Porter L Word

BettePortrait_FAB and backlite

A Taste for Politics

As I walk through the parking lot my thoughts are far above me on a rooftop just past the trees off to my right, and a lifetime ago in a shed filled with sea breezes and the taste of salt on Tina’s neck. My tongue I realize is lonely. Its urges unnerving to me.

People talk about the wholeness and peace gained in mindfulness as a person moves toward integration with The Self. That knowing all of the parts of ourselves is somehow a more evolved state of mind. Let me say this to them: If I were to spend any more time in my looking glass of memories in the basement of my mind I would shatter completely and it would not be pretty.

It would not be a break or the mental snap that led me to murderous thoughts with a Bowie knife after Tina and Henry threatened to take my child away. It would not be like the disassembling meltdown that left my throat sore for hours after I screamed her name when she left me the first fucking time. It would be closer to the devastating strike on 9/11 in Manhattan as the spines of the towers collapsed into clouds of toxic screaming rubble.

I feel a sickness inside me. I was in New York that morning. I remember the chaos and unearthly panic as the hot smelling dust of them blew up Broadway and chalked us all white. It left me inches away from insanity, an experience impossible to wash away.

No, I would find a crooked Zen moment and walk in front of a bus. Wholeness would break me. I know too much already.

Fuck! I’m lonely and pissed off. It’s cruel that on this important night of my life Tina is nowhere to be found. So fucking typical of everything, including this impossible unraveling.

But my tongue, my most valuable antenna, is impossibly devious and largely unruly by nature, and now I must deal with its dangerous thirsts for Coeds. What else can it hunger for? And what at the party – within ten minutes of getting my there – can I possibly find to slake its thirst?

I’m roused from my lascivious self-pity when I see Arnold’s long black limo and security entourage – guarding him front and back – drive through campus toward me. But wait, those aren’t the golden bear flags of the State of California. I stop walking. The limo pulls along side me. The window slides down with a whoosh.

13 thoughts on “A Taste for Politics Bette Porter L Word

1. This post and story can also be found at http://goo.gl/bIuVdC

Liked by 1 person

2. I love this chapter. Nice touch bringing in the senator. And then Tina getting into Bettes bed. Wow. I’m really stuck. I can’t stop reading.

• Julie! So great to hear you are enjoying the stories. I did love the Senator and Bette. There are references to her in the future but this is a nice story with her. Thanks so much for your comments and for your tweets!
      Blackbird

3. @Lesfan mamadoc91 says

April 29, 2014 at 6:35 am

Very seductive that Senator! Nice weaving of the past with the present. So interested in reading more!! PPS.

4. @lesfan skycaptain says

April 29, 2014 at 9:21 am

Wow Bette and the senator was HOT. Bette needed that. I wonder if Tina really saw that man or is she using this to come back to Bette knowing she will go into protective mode. Mighty convenient she’s not with Henry and she’s seeing this man. Will she see the scratch marks on Bette’s back? And will she see the pictures that were taken of Bette & Barbara? Will jealous Tina emerge? Oh can’t wait to read more. Thanks for posting.

5. @lesfan Bette0Porter says

April 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Yes, yes! I would be glad to see jealous Tina as well. She needs (as much as I love her) to learn a little lesson. And thank God Henry and she are not together anymore. I just hope you won’t make it too simple for Tina to take her back; she needs to suffer a little bit more ( I’m not mean, I love Tina, but I love drama as well).
    Bette does really love her knife, it’s hilarious, even though it’s a very serious matter. I love how crazy Bette can be.
    As for Tina’s past history, let’s hope it was just Tina’s mind playing some tricks on her; But I can sense it isn’t over yet.

Bette’s encounter with the Senator: so sexy! And yes, she really needed that.

Thanks again for another amazing chapter! Can’t wait to read more.

6. @lesfan nemo44 says

April 29, 2014 at 9:38 am

Your use of metaphors make the writing so rich and ethereal. I really feel like we are on a journey with Bette. Thank you for all your talent

7. @lesfan kingg says

April 29, 2014 at 5:54 pm

BB…another effing page turner from my favorite writer. Your dialogue makes the characters stand out. you write their characters–we feel their emotions! That’s effing TALENT!…..BB, my opinion….n you no how I feel bout opinions,….I feel that our gals will not quench their “thirst” unless it’s w/ each other! hint, hint, but let’s let Bette have a little fun w/ the senator…she deserves it after all she’s been thru w/ Tina….Thx for ur post n waiting for ur next one….Badabing!!!

8. @lesfan brinny says

April 29, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I am glad you are continuing the theme of “looking glass of memories” which you do so exceptionally well. About time, Tina came to her senses and breaks up with Henry and feels only secure with Bette. Can’t wait to see what Bette has in store for her Bowie knife!

9. @lesfan cvu says

April 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm

omg,omg Omg!..you’re killing me here!….I LOVE HOW YOU WRITE THE SEN AND BETTE!…
    And Tina?…this is the one thing I can’t talk to you about? How would I like their “Start” to happen again…
    this is rad BB!

10. @lesfan didi1956 says

April 30, 2014 at 1:38 am

You are an amazing writer,10 stars.I hope the girls are safe.PPS

11. @lesfan azmama says

April 30, 2014 at 2:10 am

Outstanding. You got it going on! I always loved the Senator and Bette together. That scene in the show in the Senator’s apartment was one of the sexiest scenes ever in which the protagonists kept their clothes on. I love the way you portray Bette’s feelings. Her explanations of her desires are primal and honest. She understands what she needs and knows how to get it. But Tina is still her kryptonite.

12. @lesfan tomboydee says

May 1, 2014 at 7:10 pm

wondefully done!!! the topic of this chapter “A Taste For Politic” sums up the hot sex between Bette and Senator Barbara. it a joy that Tina broke up with Henry.. i like Bette’s humor imagination about the knife and Henry, great story..you wrote great love scenes in your stories..