Sleeping Rough – Bette Porter L Word

Bette looking down considering
Roadside Motel -San Simeon, CA – Bette

I guess you could call this sleeping rough. For me it is. The bed is quite lumpy and there’s a stain on the wall. My guess, there always is in a place like this. But tonight to the world and anyone who’s looking for me – I’m invisible. I paid cash for the room. I removed my license plates and made a phony Temporary Tag with a stencil and ink set I bought at the incredible WalMart. I snaked around a little bit on my way south of the border and hit ATM cash machine after cash machine along an interior east to west route. Now, I’m far south of my trail, and I’m dark. I drink beer and eat tortilla chips and salsa, also Wal-Mart. I should buy their stock.

I haven’t decided what to do exactly. I’ve backed away from my earlier rashness, and am now firmly focused on how fucked up this whole thing is. Tina and Henry are not taking my baby. If Tina stays with him, after what I threw at them both, then, she’s a fucking idiot who deserves a loser like him. I just know – they are where my daughter is growing up.

I love her still, but I hate more. Henry I’m not ambivalent about, in the least.

My motel at the foot of the Hearst castle estate in San Simeon is a traveler’s motel crazy people might have stayed, and wondered about spilling blood, and wanting it on their hands. Maybe craved it even.

I unsheathe my red Bowie knife and drink beer as I lightly trip my finger down the deadly blade. Unbelievable, that I could buy this for $28. I want to cut into something. Holding it deadly blade, I understand the urge.

I sit on the floor and under the dinette table I begin to carve my message: Henry dies.

Joyce her office

Three days later – Bette

As I approach Joyce’s office in Brentwood I see Tina’s car parked outside. She always did have a penchant for being early. I should have known. I’m never on time, but I am today, and she’s already here. Damn her.

The receptionist shows me inside. Joyce takes aim with a ball and it sticks squarely in the quilted uterus art piece on her wall. She pretends to focus on her aim, as Tina rises to face me. She’s furious. Good! So am I. Why not? You go first.

Tina begins to yell at me. Joyce makes two great shots in a row. I should have worn my knife, but I came from work. Dean Porter as of today. My accounts will soon replenish. Tina yells some more.

Joyce stands up and shouts, “Sit down, both of you.” Tina walks back to the leather couch fuming.

It’s quiet for a moment, now my turn to strike.

“You are the most deceitful bitch, an enormously deluded liar if you think that Joyce, who fucking knows better than anyone, can be convinced by your maniacal rantings that Angelica is not my child just as much as she is yours.” I spit back at Tina.

“Not another word!” Joyce fires a fastball at the ovaries on the wall. “This is how it’s going to be.” She leans across her desk and stares us both down.

We sit obediently.

“As much as I would like to cash in on your lesbian custody nightmare I think I should go to medical school first, and become a psychiatrist and then, make more money on Angelica a few more years down the line. Or I could do both.” She rocks back in her leather desk chair and flips her tie up and down. “Take a lot of money from you now and again in eight years.”

She drops her tie and throws another dead aimed ball at the uterus on the wall. “It’s up to you. You decide.”

_____

TBC The next story in this series is, “Low Hanging Fruit” here: http://wp.me/p4AUvc-2z

This story remains one of my favorites because, as you can imagine, it was so much fun to imagine her in WalMart.

space

Bette Porter  L Word, stories continue next here and @Blackbird_Write

Bette Porter L Word,  Bette Porter  L Word, Bette Porter L Word, Bette Porter  L Word, Bette Porter L Word,

10 thoughts on “Sleeping Rough – Bette Porter L Word

1. Via LesFan slntrdr

Submitted on 2014/04/26 at 10:04 am

Haven’t commented on this fabulous series of stories, yet, but they are… fabulous. Wonderful therapy for what I think of as Post Traumatic S3-Disorder (PTS3D).

Submitted on 2014/04/26 at 2:36 am

You are absolutely correct, Ms. BB. Bette is a lovable snob. Did she expect to find Manolos interspersed amongst the Crocs? Or perhaps, an Armani stashed by a made in Viet Nam suit? And Ms. Porter is truly a Cursing Goddess. There is a funny video on YouTube where Bette curses up a storm….lots of F Yous and Shits. JB does it with such panache. I love reading her narratives. Keep up the great work! It’s difficult to be funny in print but you do it so well.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 10:06 pm

Bette has went “out of control” when she kidnapped her daughter from Tina. it was extreme expecially when she bought the knife from Walmart. Hilarious paragraph about Bette not know what “Walmart” is until she shopped there. it was very funny. the one thing i hate is, tina and bette argument from their attorney’s meeting. heartbreaking!!!. i really enjoy this story. you written so much good stories i had read in past few weeks. keep them coming cuz i look forward to them.. always!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 3:15 pm

LOL Bette going nuts was hilarious, but sad at the same time. It’s wonderdul how you wrote her feelings (in a funny but not ‘too much’ way; it’s just real) I could really feel her wanting to injure Henry (… and I’d gladly help her). It’s true, sometimes bad things in life lead you to think about some of the craziest things ever… after all, he’s one of the many things that took the love of her life away from her.

Thanks, again, for another amazing chapter! So looking forward to reading the next one.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 1:40 pm

Bette’s got her mojo back. You can’t keep a good woman down for long. Each of them drove the other to the edge of the precipice and it concluded with explosive reaction. But the underlying current still exists as they both admitted to it.
    The scene in Wal-Mart was priceless as Bette was dropped into a new world of possibilities. The knife was a good touch. Her snootiness of being a consumer was changed a bit with what was offered to her in her time of need.
    I love the way Joyce deals with them when they’re more into shouting then listening. She has a way of getting them back to what’s important when no one else can. Great chapter once again, Thank you for your unique insight into this world.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 9:36 am

This is the part where everything in their life…”is kinda crazy”.. 😦

But Bette in Wal-Mart is hilarious!

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 2:54 am

Excellent! You turned a terrible chapter in Bette’s life to the Alpha that we love so well full of courage and unswerving convictions. It was so funny…Bette wanting to skin Henry alive and great job of showing us the Bowie knife. I lost it when I read about the “wolf protector”! Care to share what Joyce’s report was about?

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 2:27 am

Bette is definitely and officially fucking nuts! Deranged! Wally World is her go to store? Very funny! You perfectly captured Bette’s Vancouver insanity. I loved the scene in Joyce’s office. Bette had her swerve on w/her clever and sharp toned comments to Tina. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 7:40 am

It was totally crazy! 😀
    I leaned in laughter during the shopping trip. this would be an interesting twist in the story, see Henry skinned alive 😀 I bet, you can even write about this. but I’m not so cruel 😉
    I look forward to how they’re starting fix their relationship.
    I look forward to the next chapter