Sleeping Rough – Bette Porter L Word

I open the mini bar. Vodka, definitely. A Baby Ruth bar, why not? Cranberry juice, probably a good idea. I pour the vodka and absentmindedly bite into the candy bar. The view outside is of the ski lifts rising and coming back from the top of the mountain, the dozens of spots of color are the skiers descending the slope, but nowhere within miles and miles of me is my daughter.

What have we done to each other? No, question I should have had Angelica, but why with Bette? And now I question anything further with Henry. I read the PI’s report Joyce had sent to Bette summarizing the unpleasantries in Henry’s background. It’s in my purse. I may talk to Henry about it, or I may not. My priorities have now changed from getting away from this hotel and Shane’s botched wedding fast enough – to finding my daughter, then dealing with Bette, and lastly talking with Henry.

She has changed everything.

Of course, she would. Bette is game theory personified when she sharpens her senses and goes in for the kill. That is where she is now. I saw it in her eyes yesterday and felt it in shockwaves coming off her body. My forehead throbs. I lean against the cool glass of the window and remember that is one reason I chose her. Fierceness.

It goes back so long ago with me when I needed someone like her when I was a child, years before Allsweld, Lucy and the fair. I knew for certain I had a wolf protector who lived alone on the ridge behind my house. But by then it was too late.

My scar itches and it hasn’t in years, and now memories about Lucy, and the Gypsy, and Bette, and Allsweld gets out of prison in thirty days.  My paradox is not lost on me: I need Bette’s fierceness to solve the very thing she’s created. A gulf, a chasm, and I still love her, and now I hate her even more.

I drink vodka. The cold liquor shoots through me. I press my face against the cold glass again. The winter sky, the barren forests, the whiteness of snow in the morning light – I shouldn’t be here anymore. I need to get the fuck on a plane and leave now. Someone, somewhere in LA has a finger on her movements even if they are broad. The battlefield is elsewhere. I down my drink and begin to pack.

10 thoughts on “Sleeping Rough – Bette Porter L Word

1. Via LesFan slntrdr

Submitted on 2014/04/26 at 10:04 am

Haven’t commented on this fabulous series of stories, yet, but they are… fabulous. Wonderful therapy for what I think of as Post Traumatic S3-Disorder (PTS3D).

Submitted on 2014/04/26 at 2:36 am

You are absolutely correct, Ms. BB. Bette is a lovable snob. Did she expect to find Manolos interspersed amongst the Crocs? Or perhaps, an Armani stashed by a made in Viet Nam suit? And Ms. Porter is truly a Cursing Goddess. There is a funny video on YouTube where Bette curses up a storm….lots of F Yous and Shits. JB does it with such panache. I love reading her narratives. Keep up the great work! It’s difficult to be funny in print but you do it so well.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 10:06 pm

Bette has went “out of control” when she kidnapped her daughter from Tina. it was extreme expecially when she bought the knife from Walmart. Hilarious paragraph about Bette not know what “Walmart” is until she shopped there. it was very funny. the one thing i hate is, tina and bette argument from their attorney’s meeting. heartbreaking!!!. i really enjoy this story. you written so much good stories i had read in past few weeks. keep them coming cuz i look forward to them.. always!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 3:15 pm

LOL Bette going nuts was hilarious, but sad at the same time. It’s wonderdul how you wrote her feelings (in a funny but not ‘too much’ way; it’s just real) I could really feel her wanting to injure Henry (… and I’d gladly help her). It’s true, sometimes bad things in life lead you to think about some of the craziest things ever… after all, he’s one of the many things that took the love of her life away from her.

Thanks, again, for another amazing chapter! So looking forward to reading the next one.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 1:40 pm

Bette’s got her mojo back. You can’t keep a good woman down for long. Each of them drove the other to the edge of the precipice and it concluded with explosive reaction. But the underlying current still exists as they both admitted to it.
    The scene in Wal-Mart was priceless as Bette was dropped into a new world of possibilities. The knife was a good touch. Her snootiness of being a consumer was changed a bit with what was offered to her in her time of need.
    I love the way Joyce deals with them when they’re more into shouting then listening. She has a way of getting them back to what’s important when no one else can. Great chapter once again, Thank you for your unique insight into this world.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 9:36 am

This is the part where everything in their life…”is kinda crazy”.. 😦

But Bette in Wal-Mart is hilarious!

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 2:54 am

Excellent! You turned a terrible chapter in Bette’s life to the Alpha that we love so well full of courage and unswerving convictions. It was so funny…Bette wanting to skin Henry alive and great job of showing us the Bowie knife. I lost it when I read about the “wolf protector”! Care to share what Joyce’s report was about?

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 2:27 am

Bette is definitely and officially fucking nuts! Deranged! Wally World is her go to store? Very funny! You perfectly captured Bette’s Vancouver insanity. I loved the scene in Joyce’s office. Bette had her swerve on w/her clever and sharp toned comments to Tina. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Submitted on 2014/04/25 at 7:40 am

It was totally crazy! 😀
    I leaned in laughter during the shopping trip. this would be an interesting twist in the story, see Henry skinned alive 😀 I bet, you can even write about this. but I’m not so cruel 😉
    I look forward to how they’re starting fix their relationship.
    I look forward to the next chapter