The Ant Farm Bette Porter L Word Tina Kennard

gypsy carnival Ant Farm story image

As she had led me through the caravans I’d seen faces in and out of focus in my shaky field of vision. Carnival people, fire eaters, men with monkeys on their shoulders, and women in sequins with dark dramatic eyebrows and painted mouths. All eerie, all unreal, but I sensed them protectively surrounding us as we made our way to the Gypsy’s trailer, where it was finally quiet, and she was the only one with me for a long, long time, until the police finally came.

How is it that strangers can be the most comfort to us? Their unexpected and genuine kindnesses catching us vulnerable and off guard? The gypsy’s gentle but firm hand with me as her first aid kit and long needle and thread had appeared on a table – similar to one I had sat around minutes before.

I remember my whimper. I remember her singing very softly to me a strange melody – the minor notes taking my mind off and away from my pain. I cried but only softly as she had stitched in the memory, and given me my jagged Gypsy scar.

But as my wound began to heal and the trial had approached, my friend’s and family’s faces had looked queerly at me at me – the survivor, I was called, not the victim. My mind had worked hard to push away my wondering: What I could have done differently to save Lucy, so her eyes would never have closed? My court testimony had been short, my indictment of Allsweld as a monster certain, my guilt over Lucy’s death overpowering.

Tina serious blue shirt cropped tight

I stop a sob that struggles in my throat. I watch Bette stretch to pull down different ceramic containers for Dana’s ashes.

Memories are rarely inescapable, their knowing impossible to doubt for long, and there are so many here in this kitchen, everywhere in this house, and all over my skin.

The blue one is yours, Tina. Hey, are you alright?” Bette’s voice brings me back. She’s seen my sadness.

“Oh, of course, use it for Dana.” I lean over the Starbucks cup and lift the lid. “Alice, you know there are black ants in here eating the leftover milk and sugar.”

“I don’t know what to do about it! Shane says we should dump her ashes in a pot of boiling water to kill the ants,” Alice says frantically.

6 thoughts on “The Ant Farm Bette Porter L Word Tina Kennard

1. @Lesfan brinny says
    April 24, 2014 at 2:11 am

This is pure comedy gold! You had me laughing at Bette whistling to the ants crawling out of Dana’s ashes, to Bette and Tina slapping Henry. I am surprised the other girls didn’t form a conga line to slap Henry too since they hate him as much. Can’t wait to read your next chapter.

2. Bette0Porter says
    April 23, 2014 at 11:09 am

“Now, I am going to hit you.” I raise my arm back but Tina calls out.
    “Wait! Let me!” as she slaps Henry a good stinging smack across his face.

God help me, you cracked me up!! LMAO.
    I loved this, I love how you describe Bette’s anger and turmoil, it’s so real!

The scene at Bette’s was beautiful. Funny and deep. It was good to see the gang together in a moment like that, and our couple forgetting about their own issues, just to focus on their friend Alice (and Dana). Wonderfully written, as always.

kenji says
    April 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I love these stories. Thanks for posting so frequently.

didi1956 says
    April 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Well done Bette !!! Again-I love your writing and I`m glad you came to this site.

lipitora says
    April 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

oh WOW! it is more than pleased!
    I think you’re outdone, my cheeky request 😉
    I realized it was not the best idea to drink coffee while reading the scene 🙂
    I’m looking forward to the sequel!

mamadoc91 says
    April 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hey Blackbird – Wonderful writing! I really like these snippets of TiBette. Keep us grateful for your gift. Thank you!

tomboydee says
    April 23, 2014 at 7:41 pm

hey blackbird… love the humor in this story.. love the word “hasbian” and Bette bitter feelings to Henry. LOl. especially the slapping paragraph story. i was deeply touch about dana’s ashes as what the girls has to do with it. i hate when bette feels so bitter to tina , who was/is the love of her life. Bette is hurt with so much emotional- pain in her heart to see Tina being with Henry. i dont like Henry. wonderfully written!!!! thank you for sharing.. keep up the good work … always!!!

kingg says
    April 23, 2014 at 11:41 pm

BB..thx 4 the post, a real page turner actually. I really liked “memories are rarely inescapable, their knowing impossible to doubt for long, and they are so many here in this kitchen, every where in this house, and all over my skin.”…… You have a way of capturing the gals emotions! Their emotions have been duly noted! They really socked it 2 Henry…yay…keep writing your posts BB…..oh and yes the pics accompanying the posts are great, an extra treat……..Anticipation….

3. tibettenation1

Submitted on 2014/07/23 at 9:11 am

So sad that it came to this…but Fucking Classic

4. azmama says
    Oct 2, 2015 at 3:01 am

You’ve got Bette’s seething towards Tina and Henry going on. Just another great chapter from Ms. BB.

5. cvu says
    Oct 1, 2014 at 3:37 am

This is should had been in the show!…Oh my god…the lines are perfect!…

6. September 28, 2015

After you get your bearings again the story following is very very funny. “Sleeping Rough”, and in its opening is a wonderful scene of Bette in WalMart on the hunt for baby supplies for their getaway.

Thinking about new story for Touch Tones, Season 7 inspired story line I read this great story, and did a polish. I was pleased with the way I took the story from one setting to end up a thousand miles away in another country, Canada, where I wrote a hilarious scene for Bette and Peggy Peabody after Shane’s botched wedding. I won’t spoil the great fun awaiting you as they double team Tina and Henry, but of all the things I’ve dreamed up for those two – Tina and Bette – I wish the Henry takedown I could’ve been on screen if the show writer’s had thought of it.