The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

But something else must have happened because now she’s crying harder. “What aren’t you telling me? You don’t have to hold this all on your own. You know that right?” I move my hand down to her lower back by her hip. “I know it hurts to talk about it.”

“Is this bothering you? Me being here with you like this, Bette?”

“Are you listening to anything I’ve said to you? Because I’m listening to everything you say to me.”

“Why is this all coming up on the night of Dana’s funeral? My cousin Lucy was so young, too.” Tina straightens up and dries her eyes with her hands. “Bette, I know I could have killed him. If I’d found anything other sunglasses and plastic plates I’d have driven it into his eye.” She looks very hard and very certain suddenly.

“I know exactly what you mean.”

“It’s a terrible thing to know.”

I take the wine glass from her to refill it. “Is it? I find it comforting to think I’d go down fighting.”

“The scar I have on my back? He did that to me. I know I told you some other story.”

“Barbed wire.”

“That one.”

“He had a knife?”

“No, a really hard push against a corner. Hurt like hell, too.” Tina reaches instinctively toward her old wound.

Bette CAVE CU pensive

“It’s interesting, during a certain period of Japanese Art their artist’s would leave an imperfection, sometimes a thread that could unravel the whole masterpiece. So, I think of scars that way, as a mark or a memory of chaos, and how uncomfortably close it is to us.”

“But I’d forgotten about all this, Bette.”

“Okay, if you say so. But you did lie about where the scar came from on your back.” I realize too late I may have over done it on that last comment.

I quickly add. “Tina, did I ever tell you I had a love of pirates as a kid? I’ve always seen myself with a thin scar just right here at the corner of my eye, and it traces down to the top of my cheek. Little, but just enough to make me look unsymmetrical and sinister. I don’t know why, a childhood pirate Halloween thing is how it started.”

Tina leans back from me and focuses on my face. “Did you just say a scar under your eye and down your cheek?”

“Well, not horribly disfiguring, I don’t mean that.”

“Bette, the gypsy who whistled had that kind of scar below her left eye, running down her cheek.”

__________

The next story in this collection is titled, THE ANT FARM, an amusing story from Bette’s POV as romantic aggravations rock her mood.

The Ant Farm is here.   http://wp.me/p4AUvc-2D

Tina Kennard L Word, Bette Porter L word, Tina Kennard L Word, Bette Porter L word,Tina Kennard L Word, Bette Porter L word,Tina Kennard L Word, Bette Porter L word,Tina Kennard L Word, Bette Porter L word,

7 thoughts on “The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

1. Via LesFan Jackiee1

Submitted on 2014/05/16 at 9:03 pm

Always feel blessed when you update

2. Via LesFan didi1956

Submitted on 2014/04/22 at 1:50 pm

You are an amazing writer,thank you for another great story.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 9:55 pm

I’m sorry that took a long time to write here as well.
    I liked it very much. especially the comparisons between the gypsy woman and Bette.
    This was absolutely true: Bette always strong and she supported Tina.
    the scene in the church was just too funny (though at one point, a certain kissing scene frightened me at first) 😛 but I admit it was a good distraction.
    the story that Tina was shared sad and tragic. wonder, Tina why did not tell Bette?
    I like that Henry will disappear 🙂
    (it would be: “Bette Porter, mentally devastating in style?”)
    oh, wait! You said Dean Porter come.
    this means that Jodi is coming too? (I would be teasing, I would ask if she left out?) 😀
    I look forward to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 6:37 pm

painful story about tina.. it brokes my heart. bette always stood strong for tina moreover, bette always the bravest soul.. i love this story. i wish you written a book about all this. it unique and wonderfully flow thru the heart. wonderfully done!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 1:32 am

You never fail to amaze me. You are turning S3 to something worthy to read about. I like the idea of the gypsy aka Bette’s look-a-like saving Tina. I hope Tina is able to remember how safe, secure and loved she felt with Bette and none of “the safety of a white heterosexual relationship” and that “it was the bravest thing she had ever done” that Tina spouts so much on S3. Barf!

I wonder why Tina kept this secret from Bette.

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 10:11 pm

Great! I love the turn this story is taking… and I love the fact that you, unlike Ilene (who we all know was on crack during Season 3), didn’t make them look as though the almost eight years together never happened. They still ‘know each other’, they love each other and they will win this battle as well.
    Loved the end… maybe that’s one of the answers Tina needs; the Gipsy kind of reminds her of Bette (curly hair, then the scar – even though this one was just a fantasy of Bette). She [the Gypsy] saved her and that’s what Bette will do as well. Tina just needs to figure out she belongs with her.

7. michelle.tibette