The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

“A tall Gypsy woman with a long mane of curls held back by a scarf of stars had caught me, and with two fingers she’d deafened my ear  – with an alarming whistle – that had brought a crowd.”

Poolside – Bette

I get that psychopaths are broken people living in their own hell that they are compelled to inflict on others. And I know that sociopaths are many times the best dinner companions, especially at long tables where no one knows each other well.  The sociopaths’ glib self absorption, or fawning attentions can swing a party from tedious to fantastic while they have the stage.

But rapist are cruel, and they disgust me deeply. I understand my darker urges to kill them, or any evil bastard that gets in my way. Tina leaning against me and crying from the inflicted psychic damage left by this creep Allsweld makes me wonder how many times just today have I wanted Henry face down dead? In my fantasy I step over him, pick up my daughter, and Tina and I walk away free from those ashes.

And it’s impossible, and it’s what I’d give anything for, but at this moment I’m notched far down from where I ever thought I’d be. Tonight, I’m Tina’s friend.

Oh, how in the loving name of God are we going to do this for the rest of our lives and Angelica’s? If we didn’t have the baby, would she have just driven off one day and that would have been that? I don’t see any trail that leads her completely away from me. I’ve heard what she says and I see her trying to keep our visits shorter. I know we’re not tripping backwards down the hallway to our bedroom anytime soon. But fuck it all. What else is there to do? Dive down to the bottom of the pool and pull the plug? Let all of it drain away? I’m not there. And she’d better never be.

What I want to do is hold her in my arms, as she cries and remembers and tells me the truth about how she got the scar. In the police report, I had surreptitiously read, there were photographs of her on the scene with a frightened look, and the other shots were of her injury – jagged and dotted red from surgical threads knitted through her skin.

I’ve kissed this scar many times. Gliding over it and barely thinking anymore about the barbed wire horseback riding story that apparently was a lie.

7 thoughts on “The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

1. Via LesFan Jackiee1

Submitted on 2014/05/16 at 9:03 pm

Always feel blessed when you update

2. Via LesFan didi1956

Submitted on 2014/04/22 at 1:50 pm

You are an amazing writer,thank you for another great story.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 9:55 pm

I’m sorry that took a long time to write here as well.
    I liked it very much. especially the comparisons between the gypsy woman and Bette.
    This was absolutely true: Bette always strong and she supported Tina.
    the scene in the church was just too funny (though at one point, a certain kissing scene frightened me at first) 😛 but I admit it was a good distraction.
    the story that Tina was shared sad and tragic. wonder, Tina why did not tell Bette?
    I like that Henry will disappear 🙂
    (it would be: “Bette Porter, mentally devastating in style?”)
    oh, wait! You said Dean Porter come.
    this means that Jodi is coming too? (I would be teasing, I would ask if she left out?) 😀
    I look forward to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 6:37 pm

painful story about tina.. it brokes my heart. bette always stood strong for tina moreover, bette always the bravest soul.. i love this story. i wish you written a book about all this. it unique and wonderfully flow thru the heart. wonderfully done!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 1:32 am

You never fail to amaze me. You are turning S3 to something worthy to read about. I like the idea of the gypsy aka Bette’s look-a-like saving Tina. I hope Tina is able to remember how safe, secure and loved she felt with Bette and none of “the safety of a white heterosexual relationship” and that “it was the bravest thing she had ever done” that Tina spouts so much on S3. Barf!

I wonder why Tina kept this secret from Bette.

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 10:11 pm

Great! I love the turn this story is taking… and I love the fact that you, unlike Ilene (who we all know was on crack during Season 3), didn’t make them look as though the almost eight years together never happened. They still ‘know each other’, they love each other and they will win this battle as well.
    Loved the end… maybe that’s one of the answers Tina needs; the Gipsy kind of reminds her of Bette (curly hair, then the scar – even though this one was just a fantasy of Bette). She [the Gypsy] saved her and that’s what Bette will do as well. Tina just needs to figure out she belongs with her.

7. michelle.tibette