The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

“And on the midway there was a handsome young man, probably four years older than me, nineteen years old to my fifteen, and instead of getting caught up in Lucy’s flirtatiousness and carnival games, he was paying attention to me.” I put my head in my hands, with such renewed regret at how – a few different decisions by me that day – they would’ve made all the difference, and Lucy’d still being alive.

“When she’d tired of the shooting gallery and stuffed animal prizes she’d sauntered over to find me to follow her off and get another group of boys’ attention. But I was stubborn that day.  Here was a young guy who was interested in me for a change. So, off we went with Allsweld and left the Midway.”

“At first it was a fun tour behind the scenes of the carnival, under tent flaps and places I would have never thought to explore. That was half the fun of it – it had felt a little dangerous.

”And then Lucy and Allsweld had hit on the idea of finding some whiskey, and having a drink before we rode the roller coasters.”

“Another good reason to hate those fucking things.” Bette chimes in.

“I haven’t been to a fair since. So, we go way back to the lot where all the carnival caravans are parked. We weave past the clowns and trick ponies, and into an unlocked trailer on a crowded field of sawdust.”

“Were you feeling left out at this point?” Bette asks.

“I don’t know about that. I was following around my cousin and this guy I kinda liked, and we were going to sneak a drink, and ride his uncle’s roller coaster for free. And bringing it all back now, I wonder now if once we got inside the trailer, if Lucy han’t pick up on things I was too stupid to be aware of . . .and then tried to protect me by acting out?”

7 thoughts on “The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

1. Via LesFan Jackiee1

Submitted on 2014/05/16 at 9:03 pm

Always feel blessed when you update

2. Via LesFan didi1956

Submitted on 2014/04/22 at 1:50 pm

You are an amazing writer,thank you for another great story.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 9:55 pm

I’m sorry that took a long time to write here as well.
    I liked it very much. especially the comparisons between the gypsy woman and Bette.
    This was absolutely true: Bette always strong and she supported Tina.
    the scene in the church was just too funny (though at one point, a certain kissing scene frightened me at first) 😛 but I admit it was a good distraction.
    the story that Tina was shared sad and tragic. wonder, Tina why did not tell Bette?
    I like that Henry will disappear 🙂
    (it would be: “Bette Porter, mentally devastating in style?”)
    oh, wait! You said Dean Porter come.
    this means that Jodi is coming too? (I would be teasing, I would ask if she left out?) 😀
    I look forward to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 6:37 pm

painful story about tina.. it brokes my heart. bette always stood strong for tina moreover, bette always the bravest soul.. i love this story. i wish you written a book about all this. it unique and wonderfully flow thru the heart. wonderfully done!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 1:32 am

You never fail to amaze me. You are turning S3 to something worthy to read about. I like the idea of the gypsy aka Bette’s look-a-like saving Tina. I hope Tina is able to remember how safe, secure and loved she felt with Bette and none of “the safety of a white heterosexual relationship” and that “it was the bravest thing she had ever done” that Tina spouts so much on S3. Barf!

I wonder why Tina kept this secret from Bette.

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 10:11 pm

Great! I love the turn this story is taking… and I love the fact that you, unlike Ilene (who we all know was on crack during Season 3), didn’t make them look as though the almost eight years together never happened. They still ‘know each other’, they love each other and they will win this battle as well.
    Loved the end… maybe that’s one of the answers Tina needs; the Gipsy kind of reminds her of Bette (curly hair, then the scar – even though this one was just a fantasy of Bette). She [the Gypsy] saved her and that’s what Bette will do as well. Tina just needs to figure out she belongs with her.

7. michelle.tibette