The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

Tina_wooden bench behind her

The Gypsy Whistles

I’m not a shy person by nature, I’m more introverted than Bette, but I was adventurous as a child. My exploring and my best childhood experiences were outside in the woods, not scholastic, or on the field in soccer or sports. I was an avid tree climber. I captured all kinds of bugs. I kept lizards as pets. I was a very pretty tomboy, my father used to say.

Lucy, on the other hand, was a wild child they called her back then in the 80s. She was pretty, and I really wanted to be just like my older, gorgeous cousin. And then she died, and that scared the living shit out of me. Slowly, I’d come back from the shock. I hit reset as a college freshman, and hoped it would all disappear.

But the afternoon at the state fair is what Bette wants to know about, and even though I’ve almost told her before tonight, she’s looking at me very carefully, and tenderly, and handing me her glass of wine to share. I know this evening – after a horrible day filled with all kinds of lows surrounding Dana –  must be the hour and the time. So, I begin.

“Bette, I want you to know, I wasn’t raped by this creep, Allsweld, but he killed my cousin, and I was there.” I watch to make sure this sinks in. “Really, after awhile I was okay.”

“So you say, and I’m relieved, and I believe you.” She lets go of my hand. “How did you meet this man?”

“Lucy was just the kind of girl that was born for taunting packs of boys at a fair midway, Bette.” I laugh at the memory of her as a Carnival Barker’s best friend. “Lots of tobacco crop money was spent trying to shoot the disks, or the bulls eye and win her a prize. I was younger by four years, maybe three, but compared to her – I was unseen by the boys that flocked around her.

7 thoughts on “The Gypsy Whistles Tina Kennard

1. Via LesFan Jackiee1

Submitted on 2014/05/16 at 9:03 pm

Always feel blessed when you update

2. Via LesFan didi1956

Submitted on 2014/04/22 at 1:50 pm

You are an amazing writer,thank you for another great story.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 9:55 pm

I’m sorry that took a long time to write here as well.
    I liked it very much. especially the comparisons between the gypsy woman and Bette.
    This was absolutely true: Bette always strong and she supported Tina.
    the scene in the church was just too funny (though at one point, a certain kissing scene frightened me at first) 😛 but I admit it was a good distraction.
    the story that Tina was shared sad and tragic. wonder, Tina why did not tell Bette?
    I like that Henry will disappear 🙂
    (it would be: “Bette Porter, mentally devastating in style?”)
    oh, wait! You said Dean Porter come.
    this means that Jodi is coming too? (I would be teasing, I would ask if she left out?) 😀
    I look forward to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 6:37 pm

painful story about tina.. it brokes my heart. bette always stood strong for tina moreover, bette always the bravest soul.. i love this story. i wish you written a book about all this. it unique and wonderfully flow thru the heart. wonderfully done!!!

Submitted on 2014/04/21 at 1:32 am

You never fail to amaze me. You are turning S3 to something worthy to read about. I like the idea of the gypsy aka Bette’s look-a-like saving Tina. I hope Tina is able to remember how safe, secure and loved she felt with Bette and none of “the safety of a white heterosexual relationship” and that “it was the bravest thing she had ever done” that Tina spouts so much on S3. Barf!

I wonder why Tina kept this secret from Bette.

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 10:11 pm

Great! I love the turn this story is taking… and I love the fact that you, unlike Ilene (who we all know was on crack during Season 3), didn’t make them look as though the almost eight years together never happened. They still ‘know each other’, they love each other and they will win this battle as well.
    Loved the end… maybe that’s one of the answers Tina needs; the Gipsy kind of reminds her of Bette (curly hair, then the scar – even though this one was just a fantasy of Bette). She [the Gypsy] saved her and that’s what Bette will do as well. Tina just needs to figure out she belongs with her.

7. michelle.tibette