Tomb Raider – Bette Porter Tina Kennard

A few minutes later –

As they sit at the kitchen bar I take down glasses from the cabinet. “I just want you guys to know, I’m getting drunk tonight. I’ve had it. I took a family portrait for Henry’s kid today. Guess who all was it in?” I pull open a bottle of red wine with a yank.

Shane shakes her head, “No, I’m good with beer. But that? That’s fucked up.”

“Alice, are you still taking any pills?” I hesitate before pouring her a glass.

“All done with that. It’s your house, get drunk if you want to. But look.” Alice puts Dana’s ashes, still in the Starbucks cup, on my counter, “We have to make a decision about Dana. I don’t want her to spend the night in this grimy cup. Do you?”

The three of us stare at the Starbucks cup. A tiny black ant pokes its head and antennae out of the opening in the lid. “God, that is so bleak.” I have to admit.

“Very fucked up. Who knew ants liked coffee?” Shane asks.

“See, I can’t take her home like this.” Alice cries, in a panic.

“I told Tina today, don’t burn me up, guys. I don’t like anything about it.”

“I’d ask about your silent retreat, Bette, but I mean, what is there to say?” Shane laughs, as she drinks her beer.

“Exactly. Thanks for not asking.” But feel my face changes into anguish.  “It was too much to suddenly come home to this, Dana.” I say to the cup.

“Guys, I asked Carmen to marry me this afternoon.” Shane swigs on her beer, waiting for our reactions.

All I can do is to drop my head into my hands at what an uncompromisingly bad idea that is for so many, many reasons. The first one being monogamy.

“Not a resounding vote of happiness there, Bette. You really don’t think she’ll come back?” Alice asks.

I rub my hands up and down my face. “Back to Shane and Carmen for a moment. I get the whole monogamy thing a lot clearer now. There’s anxiety either way. It’s not about the fear that you’re missing out on something exciting, or a fear that you don’t care anymore. It’s about knowing that what you’re accustomed to with another person is safe – at least from someone else’s hands. Everything else, diseases . . .” I point at the stained cup. “Heaven forbid car crashes – anything that can just wallop the living shit out of you one day – at least is not lying in your bed — in more ways than one.” I take a deep swallow of wine. “I finally get it.”

10 thoughts on “Tomb Raider – Bette Porter Tina Kennard

1. Pingback: Tomb Raider – Bette Porter Tina Kennard | LWord_BehindtheScenes

2. LesFan goyabeans4me

Submitted on 2014/05/31 at 11:43 pm

The more I read this, the better it gets…..”…Starbucks cup….lol!!”

3. Via LesFan SassyGran

Submitted on 2014/04/26 at 6:48 pm

Really liked this. It has all the emotions and was funny too. Would have loved to have seen the Helena/Bette kiss on screen with JB, LuH and RS!

4. Via LesFan MiamiMaven

Submitted on 2014/04/22 at 6:43 pm

Absolutely LOVED it.Top to bottom.Can u imagine the URN STEALING being played out on the small screen?So much better &funnier than 17REASONS

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 2:27 am

the story is hilarious and sad. the funny part was helena and bette “kiss” lol. .yeah they hated each other. alice is a great character. i can’t believe about dana “died” in the show. you have done a marvelous job writing. as I always said, keep up the good work. i enjoyed your story.. now i am going to read the other story “Milkyway”

6. Via LesFan wkm

Submitted on 2014/04/20 at 2:19 am

Pretty entertaining. I would love to have seen that in the series. Too funny. Thanks

Submitted on 2014/04/19 at 9:32 pm

Well my friend, you worked that one out quite well. So proud of you and your writings similar to spider webs, so precise yet riveting in beauty and flow. I laughed my butt off picturing in my mind that scene in the church playing out with the ashes and the kiss. It was an ending fit for the beauty of Dana and who she had become.
    Ahhh, a turn toward home….
    I like how you introduced the letter and conversation with Tina as a point in her life that I think Bette deserves an explanation for. The history between them warrants it. Hendick is still too fresh.
    I’m beaming for the journey. Your voice and style are incredibly right on with this story writing.
    Thank you for your gifts to us!

Submitted on 2014/04/19 at 6:40 am

Bette kissing Helena and Tina walking on them. Hilarious! I pay good money to see that! I am so glad that Tina is going to talk to Bette about what happened to Lucy and her. Thanks for making Henry not there during the talk.

Submitted on 2014/04/19 at 2:01 am

Damn! this is hilarious!….So funny that i want to see that it played out on my tv screen!…
    Helena and Bette kiss? lmao..and she want to kiss Bette more? Alice is panicking?!
    “We’re coming Dana. Just hang in there.” Alice looks up at me desperately. “I can’t get the fucking thing open!” She cries…what about when Tina comes in and saw the”kiss”… 😛 precious!
    azmama was right..you’ve got another home run here.

Submitted on 2014/04/19 at 1:30 am

Another home run! So funny,witty but macabre and sad. Although, I wouldn’t like it if someone stole my loved one’s ashes but the scene was still freakin’ funny.