The Fugue of White Noise – Tina Kennard – The L Word

So young! Even at fifteen to have to go through the court appearances, and the rehash of her trauma, and why had she never told me about this? Somehow she had escaped. I click on the images Barbara had attached in an email.

EXHIBIT A. Is Lucy Kennard’s body at the crime scene, a black and white photograph of a pretty girl splayed across a table.

EXHIBIT B INTERIOR CRIME SCENE ALLSWELD’S CARAVAN

A built in eating area photographed after the girl was taken to the hospital, shows the violence and chaos that must have occurred. I look closer and see the light linoleum floor smeared with blood, pots and pans from the cabinets and counters tossed everywhere onto the floor.

I click back to the photograph of Lucy. I don’t see any blood on her, well maybe some pooling under her nose but whose blood trail is this on the floor? Goddammit, I am going to ask Tina about this.

EXHIBIT C Victim’s Body

When I click on it a black and white photograph shows a three-inch long serpentine stitched wound. Wait a fucking minute! This shape healed years older is the scar on Tina’s lower back. I know it is. The one she had said was from barbed wire and a horseback riding accident.

I hear her key in the door, as she knocks calling my name.

Angelica in my arms sucking happily on a bottle I walk into the kitchen and Tina sits down on the bar stool at the counter. She looks tired, and she keeps tapping her phone on the counter. She’s nervous around me. I haven’t done a goddamn thing, other than silently lose my mind at the edge of a lake somewhere in rural Massachusetts.

“I’m having a drink. I need one. Meditation brings it out in me.” I try to lighten the mood. “Join me?”

“What are you fixing?”

“Honestly, I can get more elaborate in a minute, but right now I’m having Scotch neat. You?” I ask as I pour myself several fingers in a highball glass.

“I should have juice or something. I’ll get it though.”

“I’m standing right here. Are you sure you want apple juice = at five in the afternoon?” I emphasize.

“Pour me a Scotch.”

I slid Tina’s drink toward her, and add some more to mine.  She takes a swallow. I do the same. It flames and then burns all the way down. Delightful.

“Bette, Dana died two hours ago.”

Up next is, Tomb Raider, a very funny story where Bette helps Alice steal Dana’s ashes and Tina, Shane and Helena assist.

Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,Tina Kennard L Word,

Follow me @Blackbird_Write

You’ll love @ModernLWord a hilarious Twitter feed!

9 thoughts on “The Fugue of White Noise – Tina Kennard – The L Word

Submitted on 2014/04/18 at 9:19 pm

Thanks Blackbird for giving us a happy memory when Bette and Tina were in love in S3. I really hope Tina won’t get angry with Bette by opening her letter by mistake. Anything is possible with crazy S3 Tina. Please let her talk to Bette about the attempted rape and let Bette comfort her.

Submitted on 2014/04/18 at 2:19 am

Omg…Tina almost got raped?! …………and the saddest news ever….”Bette, Dana died two hours ago”…. :(((

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 10:09 pm

You are an excellent marksman when it comes to matters of the heart. You’ve done another incredible chapter into the depth of this intense relationship between our two alpha women. Seems life is a roller coaster of intensities and stillness. Tina’s life has had many intensities but yet she has found those moments of stillness to breathe and center herself. She had found a moment to just be in pause to see her life in a different way.
    Bette’s life is one intensity followed by another until the stillness starts to gain momentum and increases in length and loudness. It’s only taken the loss of her son, an affair and her breakup with her soul mate for her to figure out that there needs to be more moments of stillness, to breathe, to observe and to understand another way to be. Surely her narcissism, anger and arrogance have been shifted enough to see that those reactions to life don’t fit her anymore. It’s created too much loss for her heart and eventually her soul…
    And now another loss….. Dana. So unexpected for those not paying attention. Dana added so much quiet brilliance as she made her way into this family of friends. She mattered in ways that they are only beginning to understand. She will be missed deeply by so many…
    Thank you Blackbird for amazing me again, (Selfishly) Now where’s the next chapter, lol?!

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 9:44 pm | In reply to Bette0Porter.

Um, no I’ve never heard of it. But yes, I guess it really proves our point and how we felt during some scenes. Season 3 has been a real mess, most of the time. Too bad.
    Yes! I can see where you are going with this. Tina is taking a trip down memory lane, in order to be able to understand what’s going on with her and finally let go of the pain, sense of self-consciousness and fears she went through since their first break up. I think that’s a path she had to choose, so she could find her way back to Bette and learn how to fix – together – their issues.
    Final result: they will be stronger than ever.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 7:06 pm

I have to agree w/BetteOPorter. Lost plot lines, gaps in the storyline, explanations missing. Use your imagination, girls. Scenes between Tina and Bette were too short and often “an enigma wrapped in a riddle”. Many WTF moments. It’s too bad b/c the show could have gone on for 2+ years. But IC wanted to do a spinoff w/Alice’s character in prison. So DUMB!!!! A blind squirrel could see that would never make it. And nothing of consequence has taken its place.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:43 pm

Yes, Ms. BB, I did love the Wales flashback. It’s as if Tina is taking stock of their past history. Sort of mentally weighing the pros and cons of breaking up vs. staying together or trying to resurrect their marriage. Sometimes, one gets weary. Bette is an exciting person to be with, a force of nature. She leaves one breathless but such high maintenance. Yikes! A manic relationship. I didn’t think Bette was too controlling but sometimes thoughtless. For all her bravado, she didn’t stick up for Tina when Melvin had dinner w/them. Still a little girl when it came time to deal w/dear, old Daddy dearest. Maybe you can repair Humpty Dumpty????

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:40 pm

This was the third season for the part of what I hated 🙂
    as Tina told her, Dana’s death: was cruel and insensitive!
    I always thought that Tina has not forgiven, fraud, and I think probably not forgiven in herself, having fallen in love with Bette.
    Tina blamed her because she lost her family, lost her acceptance of society, and exposed herself to the prejudices. .and that postpartum depression can be helped this (I think that’s the reason for Henry and not forgiveness toward Bette)
    but it was a really beautiful moment, the flashback!
    Wow! What emerged from the file that was sent to the senator?
    I can’t wait to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:27 pm

Ouch! The ending broke my heart.
    See? This is how the show should have been. I mean, as much as I hated it, I would probably love it more if they added some scenes (like yours). The plots were good… but there weren’t so many ‘key moments’ to explain the choices the characters made. Especially Tina’s… that was something that almost led me to throw my tv out of the window. No explanations, nothing. They wasted lots of good opportunities.

Thanks for this chapter! I love your ‘love scenes’, as you already know. They’re amazing and full of emotions.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 1:24 pm

This is getting so sad. The dissolution of a marriage, Dana’s death. Just life. No one is immune from the vagaries of life. Would they have split even if Bette hadn’t strayed? Too much effort to keep it going? But Tina, seriously, Henry? I guess she wanted to be totally in control.