The Fugue of White Noise – Tina Kennard – The L Word

It’s time to go meet Henry downstairs. I kiss Dana’s forehead, I look sadly at Alice, and I’m gone.

Bette’s House Late Afternoon – Bette

For the loving hell of it, I decide while I’m prostrate inside my front door kissing my fucking floor – I’m so glad to be home -I do twenty push ups. I did find stillness in myself at times while I was away. I’m glad that I went – especially now that I’ve finished my push ups – and taking in my art collection, my books, my things, my home from the vantage point of the floor.

It is my goddamn home, and it pisses me off that my family is not here with me. But I’m truly sick of arguing about it, and my lesson away? Is that all anyone can do, is to just ‘Be’ with the pain. There’s freedom, but it’s mostly fleeting. There is lack of desire, but it’s temporary. And there are voices that are your friends, and rat voices that chew away at your mind. I will continue to be mindful and I also want a drink.

Tina should be here soon, and I must give her the letter I opened from Virginia by mistake. What I’m undecided about is, if we should talk about it, or even if I should try at this point. She was so young when this all happened. What does she even know or want to understand about the man her testimony helped put away when she was fifteen?

Barbara had come through with Allsweld’s dossier, the police report, and the summary of his trial, as well. What I pieced together is when Tina’s father was running for re-election one year, as a family along with one of her older cousins, Lucy, Tina had attended a Virginia state fair. I imagine the teenagers going their separate ways toward the rides and the carnival and her mother and politician father continuing to shake hands for votes while their daughter had drawn herself, closer and closer, to very real danger, a man named, Allsweld.

His rap sheet had all the telltale signs that he was a sexual predator. When I had seen that, my mind had flooded red with murder, but as I’d read on it had appeared that Tina had not been raped by him, but she was there when he had brutalized her cousin, seventeen year old, Lucy. No doubt in my mind, the one whose attention had grabbed Allsweld, or he would have raped, Lucy’s much younger cousin, Tina, instead. But I couldn’t give Lucy a call to discover more even, if I’d wanted to. She had died days after the attack, never regaining consciousness, and so it had been left to Tina to ultimately put Allsweld away.

9 thoughts on “The Fugue of White Noise – Tina Kennard – The L Word

Submitted on 2014/04/18 at 9:19 pm

Thanks Blackbird for giving us a happy memory when Bette and Tina were in love in S3. I really hope Tina won’t get angry with Bette by opening her letter by mistake. Anything is possible with crazy S3 Tina. Please let her talk to Bette about the attempted rape and let Bette comfort her.

Submitted on 2014/04/18 at 2:19 am

Omg…Tina almost got raped?! …………and the saddest news ever….”Bette, Dana died two hours ago”…. :(((

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 10:09 pm

You are an excellent marksman when it comes to matters of the heart. You’ve done another incredible chapter into the depth of this intense relationship between our two alpha women. Seems life is a roller coaster of intensities and stillness. Tina’s life has had many intensities but yet she has found those moments of stillness to breathe and center herself. She had found a moment to just be in pause to see her life in a different way.
    Bette’s life is one intensity followed by another until the stillness starts to gain momentum and increases in length and loudness. It’s only taken the loss of her son, an affair and her breakup with her soul mate for her to figure out that there needs to be more moments of stillness, to breathe, to observe and to understand another way to be. Surely her narcissism, anger and arrogance have been shifted enough to see that those reactions to life don’t fit her anymore. It’s created too much loss for her heart and eventually her soul…
    And now another loss….. Dana. So unexpected for those not paying attention. Dana added so much quiet brilliance as she made her way into this family of friends. She mattered in ways that they are only beginning to understand. She will be missed deeply by so many…
    Thank you Blackbird for amazing me again, (Selfishly) Now where’s the next chapter, lol?!

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 9:44 pm | In reply to Bette0Porter.

Um, no I’ve never heard of it. But yes, I guess it really proves our point and how we felt during some scenes. Season 3 has been a real mess, most of the time. Too bad.
    Yes! I can see where you are going with this. Tina is taking a trip down memory lane, in order to be able to understand what’s going on with her and finally let go of the pain, sense of self-consciousness and fears she went through since their first break up. I think that’s a path she had to choose, so she could find her way back to Bette and learn how to fix – together – their issues.
    Final result: they will be stronger than ever.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 7:06 pm

I have to agree w/BetteOPorter. Lost plot lines, gaps in the storyline, explanations missing. Use your imagination, girls. Scenes between Tina and Bette were too short and often “an enigma wrapped in a riddle”. Many WTF moments. It’s too bad b/c the show could have gone on for 2+ years. But IC wanted to do a spinoff w/Alice’s character in prison. So DUMB!!!! A blind squirrel could see that would never make it. And nothing of consequence has taken its place.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:43 pm

Yes, Ms. BB, I did love the Wales flashback. It’s as if Tina is taking stock of their past history. Sort of mentally weighing the pros and cons of breaking up vs. staying together or trying to resurrect their marriage. Sometimes, one gets weary. Bette is an exciting person to be with, a force of nature. She leaves one breathless but such high maintenance. Yikes! A manic relationship. I didn’t think Bette was too controlling but sometimes thoughtless. For all her bravado, she didn’t stick up for Tina when Melvin had dinner w/them. Still a little girl when it came time to deal w/dear, old Daddy dearest. Maybe you can repair Humpty Dumpty????

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:40 pm

This was the third season for the part of what I hated 🙂
    as Tina told her, Dana’s death: was cruel and insensitive!
    I always thought that Tina has not forgiven, fraud, and I think probably not forgiven in herself, having fallen in love with Bette.
    Tina blamed her because she lost her family, lost her acceptance of society, and exposed herself to the prejudices. .and that postpartum depression can be helped this (I think that’s the reason for Henry and not forgiveness toward Bette)
    but it was a really beautiful moment, the flashback!
    Wow! What emerged from the file that was sent to the senator?
    I can’t wait to the next chapter.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 5:27 pm

Ouch! The ending broke my heart.
    See? This is how the show should have been. I mean, as much as I hated it, I would probably love it more if they added some scenes (like yours). The plots were good… but there weren’t so many ‘key moments’ to explain the choices the characters made. Especially Tina’s… that was something that almost led me to throw my tv out of the window. No explanations, nothing. They wasted lots of good opportunities.

Thanks for this chapter! I love your ‘love scenes’, as you already know. They’re amazing and full of emotions.

Submitted on 2014/04/17 at 1:24 pm

This is getting so sad. The dissolution of a marriage, Dana’s death. Just life. No one is immune from the vagaries of life. Would they have split even if Bette hadn’t strayed? Too much effort to keep it going? But Tina, seriously, Henry? I guess she wanted to be totally in control.